Gary Farrell Vineyards & Winery’s Commitment to Sustainability
- GFW is committed to sustainable business and sustainable farming methodologies. It’s good for our grower partners; it’s good for our customers; it’s good for our employees; it’s good for our earth; and it’s just good business. When we heard about the Sonoma County Winegrowers initiative to become the nation’s first 100% certified sustainable wine region, we were eager to do whatever we could to support this critically important initiative.
Vineyard Sustainability Practices
- Gary Farrell does not currently own any of our own vineyards, choosing instead to partner with 33 of the most iconic vineyards and growers in Sonoma County to produce an array of world-class, small lot, single vineyard wines, each with a distinctive sense of place. Sonoma County vineyards partners include, but are not limited to Rochioli; Allen; Bacigalupi; Hallberg; Ritchie; Olivet Lane; Durrell; Gap’s Crown; Terra de Promissio; McDonald Mountain and Fort Ross Seaview. We also work with 3 prestigious vineyards outside of Sonoma County – Bien Nacido, Sanford & Benedict and La Riconada.
- When we first heard about the Sonoma County Winegrowers initiative to become the nation’s first 100% certified sustainable wine region, we were eager to do whatever we could to support this critically important initiative. We immediately reached out to our grower partners to ensure that they had information on the program and to connect them with resources that could assist them in the certification process. We’re delighted to report that only a few of our 36 vineyard partners are not yet certified sustainable.
2019 CALIFORNIA CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE WINERY (CCSW)
- In December 2019, following an in-depth self-assessment and an independent outside audit, GFW was awarded Year 2 status as a CCSW winery.
- As part of certification, GFW is committed to developing a continuous process improvement plan to be audited outside assessors on an annual basis. Areas include: • Water Conservation • Energy Efficiency • Solid Waste Management • Strong Relationships with Employees, Neighbors and Communities • Air Quality Protection • Environmentally Preferable Purchasing.
SOLAR POWERED – 93% ANNUAL POWER USE DEFRAYED
- Installed in January 2020, the 355 solar panels / 193 kw array covering the entire roof of the winery (see above) defrays 93% of our annual power usage.
- Over it’s 40-year lifespan, the solar array will generate an annual savings of 445,000 driving miles OR the equivalent of the pollutants removed by 212 acres of trees – per year x 40 years.
TESLA / EV PARKING STATIONS
- In May 2018, we installed 3 Tesla / EV charging stations at the winery for use by visitors to our Salon
Sustainably Certified Wines – We are proud to announce the following sustainable wines are available for purchase.