Food & Wine: Duskie’s Smoky Eggplant Dip & Labneh
Specially paired with Gary Farrell 2015 Maffei Vineyard Zinfandel
For the Smoky Egglplant
- 2 globe eggplant
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tsp Zasumac spice rub
- Pita Chips or cucumbers, for serving
For the Labneh
- 2 cup Greek Yogurt, hung in cheese cloth overnight in the fridge
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp washed and picked flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1sp Zasumac spice rub
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, picked and chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- For the Labneh: hand the yogurt in cheese cloth overnight in you refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, Zasumac, sesame seeds, parsley, lemon zest and thyme.
- Place labneh in a pretty bowl for serving. Spoon a little olive oil in the center.
- For the Smoky Eggplant: Heat your grill. Roast the eggplant, turning them when a side starts to get soft. The skin will get blackened, don’t worry!
- When all sides are soft, place in a bowl until cool enough to handle. Cut off the top and cut the eggplant in half.
- Spoon out the meat of the eggplant, separating it from the burnt skin.
- In a food processor, combine the eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, pomegranate molasses and Zasumac. Pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- Spoon into a bowl and serve with pita chips or cucumber.
Credit: Duskie Estes of Black Pig Meat Co and Executive Director of Farm to Pantry
Image credit: Julia Mikhaylova – Stock.adobe.com