Food & Wine: Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 6
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 Hours
Measurements: Imperial (US)
This crazy tender melt in your mouth stew is the perfect addition to your table in the cold winter months and the ideal pairing for Pinot Noir. The best part is that you can set it and forget it!
- 5 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 3 lbs. boneless beef chuck cut to 1inch cubes
- 1 cup red cooking wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons thyme finely chopped
- 5 Medium Carrots sliced
- 1 pound baby potatoes or tri color
- 8 ounce fresh mushrooms sliced (cremini, chanterelle, or stemmed shiitake)
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Put bacon in slow cooker. Salt and pepper the beef and add to the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to crock pot.
- Add red wine to the skillet scraping down the brown bits on the side. Allow it to simmer and reduce and slowly add chicken broth, tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Slowly whisk in the flour. Transfer to crock pot.
- Add garlic, thyme, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms to the slow cooker.
- Stir crock pot and set to cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or serve over mashed potatoes.
- Pair with Gary Farrell Pinot Noir
Credit: Kila Gomer, Wine Club Manager