Careers Gary Farrell
Winery needs a Career Enologist for its Healdsburg Location (10701 Westside Road,
Healdsburg, CA) Responsibilities:
- Responsible for quality control of all wines, through chemical and sensory analysis.
- Organizes and participates in production blend tastings, development of wine blends,
and new wines in order to support short and long-term winemaking goals and objectives.
- Develops, recommends and implements process and equipment improvements that use
state-of-the art technology to maximize quality, productivity, and efficiency in
order to enhance the winery's position in the industry.
- Collaborates with Winemaker on cork selection and sensory/technical analysis of
cork samples; responsible for scheduling cork sample requests and delivery, cork
soaks, analysis and organization of data.
- Responsible for timely analysis, data collection and submission of results in order
to meet cork order deadlines for bottling.
- Negotiates with vendors for the purchase of all laboratory equipment and bottling
- Performs all tank/barrel sampling, laboratory analysis of wine, juice, and must
using industry standard techniques to assure precision and accuracy.
- Possesses knowledge of correct and safe operation of all laboratory equipment including
but not limited to: SO2 aeration oxidation apparatus, pH meter, DO meter, centrifuge,
burettes, micro-pipettes, spectrophotometer, etc.
- Conducts routine lab equipment maintenance as needed.
- Understands principles of chemical analysis for the purpose of interpreting results,
detecting faults, and troubleshooting problems as needed.
- Performs calculations to determine addition rate of wine additives, creates work
- Tracks wine and juice throughout all stages of production; coordinates with Winemaker
to maintain accurate timing of additions and cellar operations.
- Develops and maintains harvest record keeping book to ensure accuracy of bulk wine
inventory and WMDB reconciliation.
- Prepares samples for off-site analysis as needed.
- Writes and updates SOP's for all laboratory operations.
- Responsible for safe disposal of chemicals.
- Maintains detailed records of laboratory analysis and results.
- Manages inventory of all laboratory chemicals, equipment, and related goods; purchases
supplies as needed.
- Researches new laboratory equipment prior to purchasing.
- Ability to conduct sensory analysis of wines.
- Accurately sets up bench and blending trials as necessary, independently conducts
special winemaking projects per Winemaker.
- Barrel and tank sampling using hygienic techniques and gas coverage as required.
- Assists Assistant Winemaker with interviewing candidates for seasonal internships.
- Provides laboratory training for seasonal lab intern and assists with training of
seasonal cellar interns.
- Supervises all seasonal interns.
- Actively promotes a safe working environment by adhering to all winery safety rules
and mentoring seasonal staff.
- Performs all cellar operations (racking, topping, filtering, additions, sanitation,
- Forklift driver, including filling propane tanks following SOP.
- Writes and completes work orders for wine production work as needed, provides input
on completed work orders to ensure accuracy.
- Creates new blend numbers for wine and accurately labels barrels/tanks as required.
- Performs routine cooperage maintenance as necessary, including SO2 additions.
- Accurately documents all shipments and deliveries, creating labels as required.
- As needed, serves as a spokesperson for the winery at public and trade events; works
with Marketing and Public Relations to communicate winemaking goals to public and
Salary from $ 64,480 per year/ 40-hour week
Job site/interview: Healdsburg, California
- 3 years of studies in undergrad level in Wine Science, Enology or related field
- 2 years of work experience as an enologist, assistant winemaker, or related occupations
- The following is also required:
- Valid Cal. Driver's License.
- Ability to utilize a personal computer and familiarity with common S/W (Word and
- First Aid/CPR certification.
- Irregular shifts, including nights, weekends, and long hours are required.
- Frequent standing, walking, going up and down stairs and ladders, bending and lifting
up to 50lbs. are required.
For interviews, please directly contact the employer
via regular mail
Gary Farrell Winery
10701 Westside Road
Healdsburg, CA 95448